Not many people can shine on both sides of the video camera. It takes a certain breed to feel equally comfortable in the action as well as calling the shots. Kimberly Kane does both with a style and grace that capture the commercial successes of mainstream porn and the artful exploration of the alternative realm.
Not only is Kane a total pleasure to watch in whatever position she is in – be it rocking a dance off with Joanna Angel or fakin’ a love of tofu in First Dates (and you pervs thought I meant doggy style), she shines through as the person to watch no matter how many people are in the frame. As a director, she is bold and engaging and makes the kind of stuff I’d watch even if people kept their clothes on. Fun and up for anything that makes porn more that just the old in and out, Kimberly Kane isn’t afraid to bring it, and that’s just what she does.
1. How (and when) did you get started in the industry?
I got into the business in late 2003, two months before my 20th birthday. I tagged along to a set with a friend unsure of what to expect and it was a very good “free spirited” experience.
2. If you weren’t in the adult industry, what would you be doing?
I hope that I would have discovered art, photography and sexuality outside of the adult business as well.
3. What’s the best thing you’ve learned or best advice you’ve received from industry?
Anything is possible when you’re strong willed and progressive. It’s an uphill battle for a women to create and be accepted a good director and producer in mainstream pornography. But I was fortunate to have a lot of support from Eon Mckai and the “Alt” family.
4. What’s the funniest thing that’s happened while filming?
Funny jokes that people tell while we’re waiting for ‘Wood.’ For instance:
What do you call a pirate with no arms and no legs hanging on a wall?
5. What do you think is the biggest misconception about women in the industry?
That we’re all on drugs, molested as children and stupid. I feel the generalization of any one group of people is ignorant. Most of the people that I have met in this business are intelligent people with vision. The old stereotype of women in this industry is completely obsolete.
6. What did you do today?
I twittered happy birthday wishes to Belladonna, I confirmed detail with my business partner on a music video project we’re directing this summer. I tried to watch the 2009 Sem Press lecture by Nan Goldin but the damn video player was acting weird so I’m going to finish watching it later and I’m finally finishing my interview questions for YOU.
7. What would you rather have done today?
Hitting balls at the Golf Range, directing a beautiful fuck scene or shooting raunchy Super 8mm film.
8. If you could do a movie with anyone (living or brought back from the dead) who would it be?
Vincent Gallo is the only person who’s coming to mind at the moment.
9. Who is your favorite adult performer?
Annette Schwartz, Belladonna, Claire Addams, Bobbi Starr & Sasha Grey. I could shoot & perform with these women every day for the rest of my life and never cease to be amazed.
10. You’ve got 20 bucks left to your name; what would you do with it?
Buy a roll of FUJICOLOR PRO 400 and an IN&OUT cheeseburger, fries and a coke.
11. If you were president, what’s the first thing you’d change?
I would put George W. Bush on trial for his war crimes. Then I would loosen the laws on prostitution and give Americans free healthcare.
12. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever done?
Being manipulated by a documentary “filmmaker” and getting emotional on camera. That was SO embarrassing! To this day I don’t talk to doc people and ‘IF’ I do, I’m very careful about what I say because they are all mostly scum.
14. If you could have 1 superpower what would it be?
This is going to sound like a totally canned answer but I don’t care. I wanna FLY!
15. Meat or veggie?
Depends on the day!
16. What is your favorite book?
At the moment it’s ‘My Loose Threads’ by Dennis Cooper
17. What is your biggest pet peeve?
18. What is your best piece of sex advice for women?
If there is something you want to try in the bedroom don’t be shy, he wants to too.
20. Tell me one thing you’ve never told anyone else.
I hate long haired cats.